- Term – Length of time in years contract runs
- Split – pub (50%), co-pub (25%) or admin(10%-20%)
- Advance amount
- non recourse (meaning that they can’t take it back in the event that you make no money)
- Territory – World, or US/NorthAmerica Approval rights – do you have approval rights over usage
What does a first deal generally look like for an up-and-comer?
- Term: 1 year + 3 option years with – MDRC(Minimum Delivery/Release Commitment)
- Split: pub (50%) or co-pub (25%)Advance amount: 30-50K
- Territory: World
- Approval rights : none til recouped
– Have finished masters, not something that needs a mix
– Have instrumental versions of songs ready, lyric sheets and clean versions of songs
– Make creative execs look good to their superiors and they will help you.